Monday, April 7, 2008

Animal cruelty?

Since I was a very young girl, I have felt an affinity for nearly all animals. There's something about the helplessness of most species that simply compels me to advocate for them.


This past weekend we took the kids on a trip to the Lake of the Ozarks. Steve's Dad has a condo and he and his wife had invited us to bring the kids down for a visit. We did the typical touristy acitvities (mini golf, bumper cars, skee ball). The kids had a grand time!! After much playing, the kids allowed us one adult activity ... a visit to the Bagnell Dam. We went to the low side to see the enormous flow of water. Massive torrents were created from the spaces in the man-made concrete wall. As we walked on the large pebbles towards the choppy waters, I noticed the fowl smell of rotting flesh. When I looked down I saw what appeared to be beaver tails. I looked around and they were everywhere. "What do you think they are ... beavers?" I inquired. I started to look around and finally found one with a complete head and nearby were large caudal fins. They were fish! Huge fish!


They are known as paddle fish. I have since learned that these fish are caught in the choppy waters, beheaded and cleaned right on the shore. We stood on the masacre site for these distinct fish. As you can imagine, I had trouble with it and waited the remainder of the visit in the car. It is simply unimaginable to me ... the idea of catching one of these beasts and chopping off it's wonderfully unusual head.

People are so barbaric and cruel.

No comments: