Friday, May 9, 2008

Things could always be worse ...

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. ~Melody Beattie

I now believe that there comes a point in everyone's life where you simply throw your hands into the air and acknowledge the symbiotic horror and beauty in life. It must take both to make life a gift worth having. I suppose it really doesn't matter how long you live, but how you develop during the time you are given. I've known such beauty in life and have been blessed with so many amazing relationships. I am at the point of accepting the problems I'm facing, by embracing the hidden gifts that are uncovered in times of hardship. Here's one traumatic scenario (the funny part is that I'm telling it simply because it is the most recent) ...


My four year old has now been officially diagnosed with asthma (brought on by seasonal allergies). My husband and I are trepidatious every spring, as the last two years Abram has gone to the hospital in respiratory distress. This year proved no different. I received the call Thursday around 4:00 p.m. to hurry home and give Abram a nebulizer treatment. By the time I drove home (a long commute), followed by a trip to Walgreens to pick up new albuterol (of course the stuff I had on hand at the house was expired), it was clear we would need to go to the E.R. again this year. I calmly packed Abram's nebulizer, put my shoes back on and Steve & I headed back to the very medical facility I had just left (seems I never leave the hospital these days). Abram was admitted around 2:30 a.m. Friday morning, followed by treatments every 2 hours and little to no sleep by all. Friday evening Abram had been sufficiently weened to treatments every 4 hours, which means we get to come home (and after only one day ... yeah!!!). As we were driving home (in my new car that we purchased in April 2007) ... it broke down.


So ... here's what I say after a couple of days like this ... Things could always be worse!!!

1. My mother-in-law (and breast cancer survivor, 2007) is strong, healthy and was able to keep our daughter Thursday night and take her to school Friday morning, so Steve and I could both be at the hospital with Abram.


2. My Mom (and diabetes survivor for many years) and Dad (currently fighting lung cancer)were both having a good enough day to keep Alexandria Friday overnight, as the first night back at home will entail giving Abram treatments every four hours (which means at midnight and four a.m.).

3. The cold or allergies that I've been suffering with for a week now, actually seem to be receding tonight ... truly a blessing!!!

4. Our car did not break down on the highway, we were able to make it to a car dealership and my Mom lives close enough to come pick us up and take us home (with a sleeping and sick child in tow).

5. I came home to a warm and comfortable house. What a great feeling ... walking into your own home with your baby in your arms (I know he's four, but he's still my baby). Truly priceless.



You see ... things could ALWAYS be worse!!

Fast Facts
Every day in America:
40,000 people miss school or work due to asthma.
30,000 people have an asthma attack.
5,000 people visit the emergency room due to asthma.
1,000 people are admitted to the hospital due to asthma.
11 people die from asthma.

No comments: