
This morning I decided to send the kids a Valentine's day card from the Dian Fossey Foundation web-site. I was doing my usual poking around and reading about the efforts of the Karisoke researchers that have taken over Dian's efforts. I stumbled across some information about one of the gorilla groups named Beetsme's group. The name of the group had never been renamed after Beetsme's death in 2001. What I had not discovered until tonight is that the group has a new leader named Titus. Titus was a young male of 4 years old the last time that I read about him. His father was my favorite of Dian's gorillas named Uncle Bert. I was so excited to see that Uncle Bert's son has now become the dominant silverback for his own group. The very group that originally had been Uncle Bert's until he was killed by Beetsme. I will post my original photo (from Robert Campbell's negative) of Uncle Bert soon, which was a gift from my mother some 15 years ago. It's very interesting how much Titus has taken after his father. Oh ... the circ
le of life. What a handsome fellow Titus has become!Leader Titus
No comments:
Post a Comment