Fred and Me (1978 or 1979)
I'm not sure how old I was in this photo (maybe 5?). Mom might remember. Anyway, Fred was skinny then, wasn't he?? I believe those are my shoes in my left hand and that must be a soda in Fred's left hand (because I don't remember him drinking beer ever ... he was a rum man). I thought he was a giant when I was a little girl. He just seemed so darn tall!! He told me he was half bear during one of our camping trips ... I believed him completely.
Tomorrow (9/23/08) would have been Fred's 65th birthday. I was going to go to the cemetery this past Sunday, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I will celebrate him in my head tomorrow; many times I'm sure. Hopefully without tears, but rather joy that he was a part of my life. This is all so much harder than I thought. It's amazing how many small, yet intricate parts of each day bring memories vividly to the mind. I suppose this is one of the great beauties of being human ... remembrance.
Abram and Papa (June 2008)
No comments:
Post a Comment