Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fave five

Somehow last year I was lucky enough to stumble across a really fabulous friend at work. The best part is that she puts up with all of my insanity and even enjoys listening to my rambling about work, life situations and even proof reads my writing about all of the above. I have some guilt, as I don't see how it could be possible that she gets nearly as much out of our friendship as me. Despite this she continues to be my friend. I really treasure our talks, similarities and of course the celebrity gossip.

Our new plan is to create some funny and (hopefully) somewhat thought-provoking blogs. The first topic of choice is our five favorite movies and why we love them. I can't wait to see what she comes up with.

I have chosen five films that I could watch over and over and over again (and have). They each have very special meanings to me albeit in very different ways.



1. The Color Purple --- Not only is purple my favorite color ... this is my all-time favorite movie. From the first time I saw it, I was moved more than any other film I had ever seen. My favorite line and one that I live by is ... "I think it pisses God off when you walk by the color purple in a field and don't notice it". We certainly all have our fields ... I believe most individuals either don't take the time to notice them or they have become so hardened by life that they miss the simplest of its rewards.



2. Sling Blade --- Holy cow! I was working in a video store, when this movie was about to be released. We were always given screeners to watch to help determine how to stock the store. I watched this movie late one night prior to the video release. My husband was already in bed and I figured he wouldn't mind missing this particular film. It was after midnight by the time it ended, but Steve was awakened to "Steve, you've got to watch this movie... wake up ... watch this movie". I watched the entire movie again right then. I had sat through the entire movie transfixed and that proved to be true for viewing number two as well. I was completely overwhelmed by the orginality and oddly lovable main character. In my opinion, Billy Bob Thornton wrote one of the most provocative and amazing stories of our time.


3. The Silence of the Lambs --- Need I say more?? The best part is that I can actually do a really good impersonation of ... "Was she a real big fat person ?"

4. Dead Poet Society --- I love poetry and the poets that write it ... yeah, I like to write a bit too. I saw this movie in highschool with my three best friends (Melissa, Emily and Laura). It was a moment ... one of those moments in life that you don't forget.


"Gentlemen ... What are the four pillars ..."




5. 2001: A Space Odyssey or The Shining --- I honestly couldn't decide!! One with my head in a lap with my hair gently being stroked and the other tightly tucked behind Mom's legs with eyes bulging with fear. Perfect moments!!











Three comedies that I didn't put on the list; simply because they didn't seem to match up to the intensity of the films above ... Raising Arizona, National Lampoon's Vacation and Little Shop of Horrors (1986). These movies never cease to be hilarious!

1 comment:

LT said...

Nice list...I am going to have to get to mine tonight or tomorrow! I'm also going to have a really hard time...can I just do my top five by genre? Or is that cheating?